Pet Insurance and What You Should Know
Pets can be expensive, especially when sick or in an emergency situation. One option to help soften that blow to your wallet is pet insurance. We often get asked which pet insurance company is the best. It’s not so much which is the best, but which will work the best for you.
For starters, here are some of the basics of pet insurance:
• Unlike human health insurance, pet insurers work with all veterinarians so pet owners can use any animal health provider they choose.
• Clients are expected to pay the veterinary bill as usual and are reimbursed by the insurer (the time varies by company).
• Preexisting conditions and some breed exceptions are usually not covered.
• Pet insurance generally offers protection from large, unexpected veterinary bills; routine expenses are not always covered.
• Insurers differ, so you must do your research to select the policy that is best for your pets.
There are a number of websites dedicated to pet insurance comparisons, often published by insurers themselves. Consumer reviews are helpful, but clients who feel strongly, especially negatively, about an experience may tend to post more often, leading to a less-than-objective overall rating. A great website with objective reviews and comparisons is www.petinsurancereview.com.